The Advantages and Disadvantages of Dual Booting Windows and Linux?

Lord Kalthorn said:
If you want another Hard Drive - why don't you use the one you have in the corner of your room? I know you said the Computer is slow but you only need like 5GB for Linux? So you'd only need a 7GB+ Hard Drive to do it depending on what you plan to do with it. That would save you waiting (as we all hate! am I wrong?) to get the money for a new Hard Drive!

Very very good idea ... one problem. The Hard Drive for the computer in the corner of my room is only a measly 810MB Hard Drive .... *cough*

Yeah; but Linux needs 5 GB doesn't it? For the graphical version?

I don't have any better ideas though - you'll probably just have to wait!

"Yeah; but Linux needs 5 GB doesn't it? For the graphical version?"

no.

if you include every single package available for linux, it comes in at under 4 gb.

3 desktop environments [or gui's]
20 different games
8 different media players
web server
ftp server
telnet or other client server
imap server
smtp server
more than 3 image editing programs (windows only comes with 1: paint)
tools to recompile the kernel
software development (c/c++ compiler, python, perl/cgi, php)
you can completely customize what and what is not installed.
i know i am forgetting tons of crap, but it is still <4gb total

this is just for redhat, as some distrobutions have more than 5 different gui environments, and all distros come with a tool to make your own (still going to be under 4 gb FOR ALL DISTROS!!!!)

Ah! Very cool indeed! I have downloaded the Red Hat Yarrow Install and will load it on in the very near future. I am interested in seeing if this Linux is as good as you all think it is; which I seriously doubt!

There are allot of extras with Linux you can download if you wish. I look forward to hearing what you think!

Yeah; I just hope that my Broadband Driver will work on Linux - otherwise I cannot try it on the internet!

Or at least that I can find one!

Back
Top Bottom