Longhorn

Traveller

Baseband Member
I was just wondering what the general concensus is around here about the new OS Longhorn that microsoft is developing and the associated ideology that comes with it?

We have a few Windows fans who are eagerley looking forward to it and some people who would rather go for Linux.
How about you?

I must admit, i am really looking forward to seeing Longhorn in action. I wanna see what is gonna make it better than XP and other Windows OS's. (Though nothing can be worse than ME) And whether it can stand up to whatever Linux has going on at the time.

Just wait until Microsoft shits itself by having to release loads of Patches for Longhorn within the first week of releasing it ... lol

I'm looking forward to see if the implementation of the idea is all it is cracked up to be. The new abstract data structures that avaleon is promising is intriguing, however I'll have to wait to get my hands on the Whidbey release of VC++ to try it out. As for the overall ideology of seamlessly embedding application software and web based applications, I am definitely for that. Just the fact that the interface is going to become a system default will save time, let alone all the other goodies they are promising. How about you guys?

Their are a couple big differences for C++ development. One of them if the WinFS(windows file system) which completely abstracts data storage. You know can organize and search for files by relationships, very similiar to SQL(its actually referred to as TSQL). WinFS is also totally exposed through object models so the entire thing is pretty much managed code. An example of this is iterating through items in a folder to search for a particular object:
Code:
using (FindResult result 
   = myDataFolder.GetAllMembersOfType(typeof(Person)))
{
foreach(Person person in result)
{
   if (person.DisplayName == "myPerson")
   {
      // use person here
      break; 
   }
}
}
Avalon also is only exposed through an object model, the application object. Their are further revisions to this such as the NavigationApplication object which adds all the typical navigation tools. All of this is done through managed code and greatly reduces redundant coding because you don't have to worry about the basics.

Traveller said:
I was just wondering what the general concensus is around here about the new OS Longhorn that microsoft is developing and the associated ideology that comes with it?

I think; and indeed know that it will be far superior to any other Operating System until Blackcomb comes out afterwards! Have you not seen some of the websites around that are talking about it? Here are some of my favourite:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1368390,00.asp

http://winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2003.asp

and the Official One being - http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com

My favourite is the top one; which I must give credit to Xinam for. The images actually make me salavate; whether thats good or not! And the information I just cannot wait to see beyond the Alpha they're working on now.

Rocker said:
I must admit, i am really looking forward to seeing Longhorn in action. I wanna see what is gonna make it better than XP and other Windows OS's. (Though nothing can be worse than ME) And whether it can stand up to whatever Linux has going on at the time.

Just wait until Microsoft shits itself by having to release loads of Patches for Longhorn within the first week of releasing it ... lol

Lol! Touchet, I don't think any Windows is worse than Windows Me - even Linux and Mac X are slightly better; although Mac IX, whatever they called it, is worse!

And another Touchet! But it will not Shit itself with releasing them; and they will only be released because the Twits who try to break it will only start trying or indeed Hacking at about that time!

Back
Top Bottom