Microsoft Windows Built-in Items (IE, etc): Should they be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I would like to say why I started this Forum

Lord Kalthorn said:
I finally found the piece of information, straight from the horses mouth, which was the basis of this Thread: READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL!

The Hearings with the European regulators wrapped up Friday with two of Microsoft's most vociferous detractors taking the stand to bolster charges of abuses in their two key markets: server software and multimedia players.
It was server maker Sun Microsystems Inc. of Santa Clara, Calif., that filed the original complaint against Microsoft in Brussels five years ago. (MSNBC is a Microsoft-NBC joint venture.)
The other detractor, Seattle-based RealNetworks Inc., wants Microsoft's media player divorced from the software giant's operating systems. RealNetworks is Microsoft's leading competitor in that realm and was founded by a former Microsoft vice president, Rob Glaser.
The company's representatives were barred by EU rules from publicly discussing the substance of their testimony.
Regulators charge that Microsoft's decision to tie its Media Player into Windows, which runs about 90 percent of desktop computers, “weakens competition on the merits, stifles product innovation and ultimately reduces consumer choice.”
They are threatening fines that could reach up to $3 billion, as well as a far-reaching order for Microsoft to strip the multimedia application from Windows to give rivals such as RealNetwork's RealPlayer or Apple's Quicktime more of a chance.
The EU Commission also wants Microsoft to disclose more software code to competitors in the market for low-end servers so they can make products that work as well with Windows as Microsoft's own.
Microsoft's foes argue that the potential long-term damage to the software industry and to future innovation posed by Microsoft's persistent inclusion of new features in its operating systems — first there was the browser, and Internet search tools will be next — outweighs the advantages to consumers of such bundling.
“The thing that becomes difficult is Microsoft's interests are often aligned with consumer interests,” said Ted Schadler, principal analyst at Forrester Research in Cambridge, Mass.
Microsoft spent a day and a half in Brussels defending its business practices, insisting that “significant consumer choice exists in the server operating systems and digital media markets today.”
It also renewed its pitch to settle the case, hoping to protect its core business strategy of constantly adding new features to its flagship product.
“Because Windows is such a high-volume product and its most profitable, any unexpected change that cuts into the profit margins of Windows is serious,” said Matt Rosoff, lead analyst at Directions on Microsoft, an independent research firm.
For rivals, money also is the key issue as they watch Microsoft eat into their market share, much as its Internet Explorer did to Netscape's browser in the 1990s.
The EU's decision is not due until next spring, unless Microsoft settles before then.
Ed Black, president of a trade group representing Microsoft critics that includes Sun, called on the Commission to stand firm.
“The only way a settlement could be possible is if somehow — which I think is unlikely and would be a horrible outcome — the EU would capitulate the way the U.S. and Justice Department did,” he said Thursday night after making his own presentation.
U.S. courts found Microsoft guilty of monopolistic behavior in the Internet browser case, but Microsoft later reached a settlement with the Bush administration in 2001 that allowed it to keep its Internet Explorer in Windows with some conditions.
Microsoft argues that the settlement — now being reviewed by a U.S. appellate court — should address Europe's concerns. But the European Commission says its market surveys found Microsoft's anticompetitive behavior continued.
EU officials have said they remain open to a settlement, but made no comment on the hearing

HA! I personally believe that its like a young child running to its mummy for help when its been beaten at Mini-Golf by a superior child

Has nobody read that? Really, if you do you'll know why

Okay, I read only a few of the posts and I must admit that Lord is an imbecile.

Windows blows. The only reason people use it is because of it's GUI. Nothing else is worth the while.

Linux is stable, Windows isn't.

No windows server will EVER be up longer than a Linux server.

Bill Gates is a sad excuse for a programmer. Anyone who doesn't take the time to make a OS that actually works is lazy. So many simple bugs could be fixed by simply using your own software.

But no, he's a money-hungry little prick who case NOTHING about us peons.

Simply put, Linux will always be on top.

While I recognise the obvious floors in the various Windows OS's, you have to admit, they have got more stable over the years! Personally, I think Win98 was the best for stability, running XP now, which I have had very few problems with.

WMP is the daddy. You know it's far superior to RealPlayer and alike.

That is all for now, :D

David Lindon said:
Really, I always found 98 to be worse. Interesting.

I suppose it depends what people use the PC for... what applications they run etc... if they are just a home user doing word processing or web browsing, or if they're someone who uses it for multimedia or DTP?

Anyway, i'm quite happy with winxp, it ticks along quite happily! :)

Multi-Cap said:
Okay, I read only a few of the posts and I must admit that Lord is an imbecile.

Windows blows. The only reason people use it is because of it's GUI. Nothing else is worth the while.

Linux is stable, Windows isn't.

No windows server will EVER be up longer than a Linux server.

Bill Gates is a sad excuse for a programmer. Anyone who doesn't take the time to make a OS that actually works is lazy. So many simple bugs could be fixed by simply using your own software.

But no, he's a money-hungry little prick who case NOTHING about us peons.

Simply put, Linux will always be on top.

Oh dear, what sort of a CRAZY HAIRY DISCUSTING LINUX-FOLK FREAK ARE YOU!

An Imbecile am I? Well, I think I have already voiced my opinion about you.

What sort of a comment is 'Windows Blows'? There has to be a reason for its blowing or it doesn't - like a broken fan. The GUI is THE only reason over a third of people buy an Operating System, and then half of the people only buy a new operating system because they need a new computer. You want to know why they ALL go for WINDOWS? because they can use it, they can get it, and its cheaper and easier than getting Linux!

How do you know this? Windows Servers have not existed long enough to prove or disprove this!

Prick? It is not even a good insult, its just slang for the common slobs who can't think of anything else. I presume you mean cares and not case.

Linux will always be on top? Linux has never been on top! So they cannot EVER 'always be on top'!

Even Rocker must admit now that you are a common slob! Come on Rocker!

Lord Kalthorn said:
Oh dear, what sort of a CRAZY HAIRY DISCUSTING LINUX-FOLK FREAK ARE YOU!

An Imbecile am I? Well, I think I have already voiced my opinion about you.

What sort of a comment is 'Windows Blows'? There has to be a reason for its blowing or it doesn't - like a broken fan. The GUI is THE only reason over a third of people buy an Operating System, and then half of the people only buy a new operating system because they need a new computer. You want to know why they ALL go for WINDOWS? because they can use it, they can get it, and its cheaper and easier than getting Linux!

How do you know this? Windows Servers have not existed long enough to prove or disprove this!

Prick? It is not even a good insult, its just slang for the common slobs who can't think of anything else. I presume you mean cares and not case.

Linux will always be on top? Linux has never been on top! So they cannot EVER 'always be on top'!

Even Rocker must admit now that you are a common slob! Come on Rocker!

Do not even bring me into this. This "common slobs" "weak insults" are no better than what you called me for having my own opinion. Infact, i couldnt agree more with Multi - Cap. Unlike you Kalthorn, i give respect when it is due. Even though i dont really like Microsoft for its Windows OS's, I do give respect to them because they were the first OS out there, back in the good old days of Windows 3.1. I respect Microsoft because people still do use its OSes, which must stand for something. However, you dont seem to give respect for Linux? Maybe because you cant except others opinions? Lemme tell you something. Like it or not, a substantial amount of people do use Linux, either as a server or for personal use. Linux must have done something right Kalthorn. People do like Linux. Just because you love Windows for everything, doesnt mean that everyone else has to.

Face it. A lot of people, including computer pros prefere Linux to Windows. Believe me, i am not saying you cant have your own opinion, im saying that others can. I mean, do you really feel the need to call someone who likes Linux a "CRAZY HAIRY DISCUSTING LINUX-FOLK FREAK"? I hope i have meade my point clear to you.

- Rocker -

I'm sorry, Rocker, that he has brought you into something that doesn't concern you.

First off, my English skills and terminology database is way larger than yours. I've majored in the English language and grammer for 4+ years. Henceforth, don't tell me what to do with my way of speaking.

Secondly, Linux includes Linux servers. Therefore, Linux IS on top. Every major host uses Linux servers more than Windows servers. Due to stability and security reasons.

I don't care what you think of me. And I don't remember you saying anything about me before, so in the words of Trailer Park Boys - F*** Off.

Multi-Cap said:
I'm sorry, Rocker, that he has brought you into something that doesn't concern you.

No need to apologise ... In fact it is him who should apologise for jumping on you like that.

- Rocker -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom