Favorite OS?

Well I don't prefer Linux because it's not Windows or Microsoft and I've got nothing against Microsoft (It's just a company like any other).

And Windows can be better than Linux or any other OS for certain uses such as playing games (mainly because most games are made for Windows), but the main reason I prefer Linux is not because it's free (I went out and bought it anyway) but because there is competition between the different distributions meaning that they are all trying hard to make their's the best (that's why Linux is in most cases more powerful, more reliable and more secure than a lot of other OSs).

And anyway alot of people are being paid to make Linux or parts of it.

Lord Kalthorn said:
I hate it because its not Windows - for that and only that reason. Never used it before and do not want to

I think this is a result of Microsoft's domination (or monopolization) of the (PC) OS market place, many people are happy with Windows environment as it has been (unofficiall) standardized and perfer not venture into unknown OS environment.

I must admit that the only reason I looked into alternative OSs' is because I was unhappy with Microsoft Windows, as (unlike many other people's situation) I can not afford Windows.

Although, like the apples, interoperation, compatability, support etc is and will be for a long time, minimal due to market domination.

RC

win98

I like windows, I've been using win98 for quite a while...think it's time I upgrade to XP?

Microsoft abandons older Windows - security headaches and inconvenience as Microsoft stops selling some of its older products. Microsoft will stop producing regular security patches for Windows 98 - 80% of the organisations still using Windows 98 and 95. From 16 January 2004 anyone looking for help with Windows 98 will be forced to consult Microsoft's online help pages or look elsewhere for aid.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3324471.stm

Why should they keep on wasting money on the older Windows Packages when they could be putting that money into making better newer Windows Packages like Longhorn and Blackcomb? If 80% of companies use Windows 95 and 98 then they should each upgrade!

Apple Windows????

yeah but most corporations and companies don't want to spend the money...

What do you think about this article?

Windows Trademark at Risk
Imagine a world where Microsoft doesn't own the term "Windows." We could have products named Sun Windows, Open Windows, Java Windows, Linux Windows, and Apple Windows—all competing with Microsoft's OS. Well, that world is a lot close today. Find out why a court ruling for Lindows has put the whole Windows stranglehold at risk.

http://eletters.wnn.ziffdavis.com/zd1/cts?d=75-124-1-1-797033-5706-1

why start a new thread with related topics?

why have a lot of new threads with only one or two replies?

Back
Top Bottom