Microsoft Windows Built-in Items (IE, etc): Should they be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On August 1st this was made, It was copied from MSNBC

Microsoft last week that it would alter the terms to make it cheaper and easier for software developers to license protocols that allow other products to work with Windows.

Following the concessions, Microsoft received approval from U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly that it was in compliance with the terms of its landmark settlement. Under that deal, Microsoft is supposed to license such code on “reasonable and non-discriminatory” terms.

So far, EMC, Network Appliance, VeriSign and Starbak Communication have licensed the protocols, but other companies have complained that Microsoft's terms have been unreasonable. Massachusetts regulators had also argued that more court intervention was needed.

“Given the unprecedented scope of the program and complexity of the technology, we knew it would be important to obtain feedback from government and industry on ways the program might be improved,” Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith said in a statement. “The changes announced today should make the program more appealing to software developers.”

Among the changes, Microsoft:
1. Created a new royalty structure that calculates the amount owed Microsoft as a percentage of the licensee's revenues from products using Microsoft's technology. The fees range from 1 percent to 5 percent on many products, and from 0.5 percent to 2.5 percent on embedded hardware.
2. Reduced the upfront fee from $100,000 to $50,000. Such a payment is standard in the industry, Microsoft said, and is required only after a company has signed a licensing agreement and has had a chance to review technical information about Microsoft's technology.
3. Broadened the licensing program to include, without additional charge, communications with older Microsoft operating systems such as Windows 95 and Windows 98. The prior license covered only communications with Windows XP and Windows 2000.
4. Will allow licensees to renew their licenses for another five-year term at any time before November 12, 2007.
5. Eliminated some criteria for entering the program that the Justice Department said “may have deterred some prospective licensees from taking a license.”
6. Improved the license warranties and requirements for technical documentation.

Microsoft said its existing licensees have the option to convert to the new terms and pricing at any time, while the old terms will be available as an option to new licensees through Sept. 30.

The company added that it is “generally willing to provide even broader usage rights for the company's protocol technology” than is called for either under the current settlement or in its existing licensing terms.

Massachusetts and other states had been seeking stiffer penalties against Microsoft, but Kollar-Kotelly rejected their request last November. Massachusetts is the only state still pushing an appeal of that ruling, with a hearing slated for Nov. 9.

This is also on here on MSNBC at:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/947074.asp

lol, thanks

So, what do you think of the growing annoyance of Anti-Trust Orders; the newest one being started by Sun-Microsystems against Microsoft about the introduction of Windows XP Servers - based around them bashing Microsoft over them 'using their Flagship Product to get into other corners of the Market'. Thats just silly in my opinion.

But then Quicktime and Real Networks decided to add themselves to the Anti-Trust - and said that they wanted WMP struck from the Windows Software to give them, and I quote 'more of a chance'! More of a Chance! What sort of silly buggers sue someone because the competition is too good for them and they need more of a chance! They then want Microsoft to rip WMP from ALL Windows on the earth and never build it into the Software again! AND TO ADD MORE INSULT! They ask for more Code to be given from the Windows Base so that other companies can intergrate their software into Windows as Microsoft can.

IT IS SICK!

Rocker may be on soon. He is a little anti Microsoft. Am I right in thinking that you don't like Linux either?

David Lindon said:
Rocker may be on soon. He is a little anti Microsoft. Am I right in thinking that you don't like Linux either?

Hmm?

"Little" anti Microsoft?

Yeah, i hate Microsoft quite a bit - Why?

- Crappy firewall that came with XP - Also "conveniently" lets XP see what your upto from time to time.

- Has more security breaches and holes than a fishing net.

- How many viruses are there out for Linux? 1 - 10? Okay, compare that with Microsofts OS's.

- They like to make a massive gap in your pocket when you wanna buy one of their OS's.

- Just imagine how many people every second see the legendary "Blue Screen".

- They are now charging companies (including Linux) for the use of FAT32.

- One of the richest men in the world cant write an OS for sh!t.

.... I could go on. Linux? Yup, you get a relatively secure OS without so many holes, without the Viruses, and generally better - for what? Free!

Rocker said:
Hmm?

"Little" anti Microsoft?

Yeah, i hate Microsoft quite a bit - Why?

- Crappy firewall that came with XP - Also "conveniently" lets XP see what your upto from time to time.

- Has more security breaches and holes than a fishing net.

- How many viruses are there out for Linux? 1 - 10? Okay, compare that with Microsofts OS's.

- They like to make a massive gap in your pocket when you wanna buy one of their OS's.

- Just imagine how many people every second see the legendary "Blue Screen".

- They are now charging companies (including Linux) for the use of FAT32.

- One of the richest men in the world cant write an OS for sh!t.

.... I could go on. Linux? Yup, you get a relatively secure OS without so many holes, without the Viruses, and generally better - for what? Free!

My God Man, what sort of freaky freak are you?

Firstly, Crappy Firewall? Did it say it comes with a Firewall? Windows doesn not at any point say it comes with a Firewall for one simple reason. McAfee are in league with Microsoft, and so Microsoft are not going to pack something superior into their package instead of allowing people to buy there own product. Also, a Firewall and Anti-Virus Protection would be expensive - and hike the price of Windows up even if only by a little. The Firewall on Windows is enough to keep vuiruses out until if you want a firewall you can buy a Firewall - or indeed join MSN and get McAfee Firewall and Virus Checker Free, along with other great features!
Microsoft have to see what we're doing, so that they can get us what we want next time. And what's wrong with that? What do you have to hide?

Secondly, Security breaches are created by Hackers, Hackers are always going to be abkle to find a hole in a system however well built - and not only that, but Linux-Folk who work on the Windows Systems to pay their Linux addiction are the worst thing to happen to Microsoft, and I seriously believe that they make holes so they can hack into them. They can also find bugs easily, being in the design process, and as we all know, sad Linux-Folk are the basis of Hackers.

Thirdly, as I previously said, it is Linux-Folk who make the greatest amount of Viruses - this is because they are terribly lazy and have nothing else to do with themselves. Because they are Linux-Folk they're not going to make Viruses for Linux, so they make them for Windows. Also, by users there are more Viruses on LInux than there are on Windows by far. And, the Windows Users who make Viruses will allmake them for Windows - because there's hardly anyone to annoy if you make one for Linux!

Fourthly, about 1% of people who have Windows have brought a Windows Box Package to upgrade their computer. It is only when brought seperatly that a Windows Package is expensive, the other 99% of people only buy Windows when they get a new computer, and to get Linux with a new computer would be harder and indeed more expensive for the home user than Windows.

Fifthly, I have no idea what you mean by the Blue Screen, but the "Blue Screen" as I imagine you mean is only created by a Computer being to slow for what it is doing and therefore it hanging up. What does Linux do? Does it just stop?!

Sixthly, of course they are, they invented it! If you invented FAT32, then you would want some royalties just like anybody who sells something! You are a great twit for even bringing that up. And good for Microsoft, Linux need to be kicked a bit!

Seventhly, Bill Gates is not ONE of the Richest men in the world, he IS the richest man in the world! And he can, he was incharge of WIndows 3.11 and has been involved in it since then, but even he cannot write it all because its so big. The other Top Ten Richest in the world can't write an OS at all, so even if he couldn't then it wouldn't matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom