Laptop and PC

Veg

Beta member
Hi,

I have a PC that uses ADSL internet broadband and whatnot and i would like to hook it up with my laptop. There was 2 questions i wish to ask:

The broadband modem plugs into the phone socket and then a USB cable into the pc, can i just plug the USB into my laptop and install the dial up software on my laptop?

If i cant do ^^ is there a different way? Can i use internet on both computers at same time?

my laptop is running XP and my PC is running ME.

Thanks in advance.

You can plug it into the laptop and install the drivers but then you can only use one at a time.

To use both you will need to setup a network between the two, unless the PC and laptop have got ethernet adapters then the easiest is to use something like a USB Peer-to-Peer Networking Cable like this
resize.php

I suggest networking the two computers, that way you can have internet on both. Try to go for a wireless network or a standard wire will do.

well this is what i would do,

WINME machine:
Install ethernet nic
set up dsl using usb
turn on ics (internet connection sharing)

laptop:
ethernet nic
and dhcp.

volia peer to peer networking

Steveswaldo said:
well this is what i would do,

WINME machine:
Install ethernet nic
set up dsl using usb
turn on ics (internet connection sharing)

laptop:
ethernet nic
and dhcp.

volia peer to peer networking
Very good advice.

yes you defenitly need a cross over cable lol he he he. but if u have a serial cable from your laptop 2 your pc then the inernet cable on the pc it should work sortof with a bit of tweeking around on it!

Yeah, i'd use a Coaxial Cable too (not a TV one, just my slang for a Cross Over) - or one of these nice USB Connecters you get in the PC Stores if its cheaper, wouldn't be noticably slower just for Broadband - maybe if you were transfering 20 or 30 GB from Laptop to PC!

I don't know if a Serial Connection would be to slow to get Broadband speed - I must admit I have never thought about it, I think it would.

yes that is a good 1. whats your pc speck. if u have lan kaperbilitys u might be able to have a netork going.

Back
Top Bottom