linux

i was supposed to answer your question but i guess xtreme warrior's post is the best answer to this thread. ^^

*locks the thread*

Although the initial question has been answered, the is still the possibility of further discussion on the subject. Some may disagree with extremewarrior and we would like to hear why and listen to their views. Therefore, the thread stays open.

some distributions will be bringing out new versions and others won't. You'll have to check their websites to find out.

Actually, GNU/Linux is not a version of Unix and neither is it the other way round. GNU/Linux and Unix are not related. Unix is proprietary software whereas GNU/Linux is Free Software. In anycase, GNU/Linux and Unix seem so similar bcos there both comply to the POSIX standards and GNU/Linux was created with Unix-like usability is mind.

If you want to learn more about Linux then do a search for Linux From Scratch. It is a DIY Linux distro where you configure all the options and decide what goes into it.

Whether you make your own distro or just read the documentation for it it seems an incredibly educational project.

(Myself and some other folks are thinking of using this to create our own distro-failing that I'd learn a lot about Linux anyway).

Back
Top Bottom