Blown Video Card

wilkinsonc

Beta member
Just to keep this simple. I built a pc with an AMD 1800xp processor. It worked fine for a couple of months. I then gave it to a friend who was very pleased with it. He then came to work one day and told me that there was no video output to the monitor. As I had a video card exactly the same spare, I place this into the AGP. Now, the computer booted up and showed XP loading, there was a high pitched ping and the monitor then said 'no input' I have tried both cards on an other system and they have both failed, therefore the cards must be getting damaged somehow. When I built it I was confident that all my BIOS settings were correct, frequeny multiplier etc. However, my friend claims that he was dowloading music from a p2p source and thats when the first card blew (it was fine for 2 months previous) The second card blew as soon as XP was starting for the first time !! He also mentioned a power cut. I cant understand this and ive not got the time nowadays to sink my teeth into this one. Can some great person pleeeeeze help me. Thanks.

Well, it both cards blew so that suggests the problem lies in the motherboard itself. There maybe some static left over from the powercut or there may have been a powersurge some sort of voltage regulators on the board. Try another motherboard, you mention you were using an Athlon so you will need a socket A motherboard.

What is your power supply wattage? I've heard that that can ruin motherboards, CPUs, GPUs pretty quickly if it is too low.

it could be your settings. make sure you have the power setting to the right level. (otherwise your fried)

Back
Top Bottom